Ethos and Diversity Statements
Choosing to come to Georgetown University means joining a distinctive community. As a Catholic and Jesuit University, Georgetown places special emphasis on the dignity and worth of every person and the love of truth. Membership in this community carries with it high expectations regarding the ways in which each person will act both within and beyond Healy Gates. In particular, students are expected to honor the following commitments in all their actions:
- A commitment to the highest standards of honesty and personal integrity both inside and outside the classroom.
- A commitment to treat others in a respectful manner, regardless of differences such as race, religion, nationality, ethnicity, gender, or sexual orientation.
- A commitment to open discourse and the free exchange of ideas.
- A commitment to exercise mutual care and responsibility in all relationships.
- A commitment to an active concern for the safety, security, and well-being of each individual and a respect for individual, communal and university property.
Our Commitment to Diversity
The MS-ESM program is committed to fostering a community in diversity, one of many Jesuit values embedded in Georgetown’s centuries-old tradition of serving the common good.
To us, this means fostering a community that is diverse, equitable, and inclusive. True climate justice can only exist by uplifting the voices so often left out of governmental and business decisions. MS-ESM actively strives to recruit, support, amplify, and empower marginalized folks. We are committed to understanding the diverse perspectives and experiences of our faculty, staff, students, and alumni; transparency in our work; embracing valuable feedback if we may ever fall short; and thoughtfully enacting meaningful change within our community and throughout the world.