Admissions and Application Components
Fall 2022 Application Now Live
Apply by January 15 for priority scholarship consideration.
Returning users: Log in to continue or complete your application.
Applications for the August 2022 start will be reviewed according to the deadlines below:
|Application Round||Application Deadline|
|Priority Scholarship Deadline||January 15|
|Regular Application Deadline||April 1|
|Final Application Deadline||June 1|
The MS-ESM Admissions Committee takes a holistic approach, meaning we consider all parts of your application when making an admissions decision. Therefore, it is necessary to submit all application components so the Admissions Committee can make an informed decision about your application.
Review this list before you begin your application to familiarize yourself with all of the components:
- Application Form (via the online application portal)
- CV or Resume
- Personal Essay
- Required Video Essay
- Diversity, Personal Background, and Contributions Essay (optional)
- Two Professional/Academic Recommendations
- Academic Transcripts
- Test Scores (optional)
- Demonstration of English Language Proficiency (if applicable)
- Application Fee: $90 USD
Online Application Form
Applications must be submitted through our online application portal. Please check back in mid-August for the application for Fall 2022.
CV or Resume
Submit a current CV or resume that corresponds to the information submitted on your online application. We recommend a 1-2 page CV or resume.
Prompt: Your statement should address your intellectual interests in the field of environment and sustainability management, your academic and professional objectives, and the reasons you believe Georgetown University is the best place to pursue your studies.
Format: Essays should be typed using 12 pt. font, double-spaced, and completed in approximately 500 words or less.
Required Video Essay
Video Essay Prompt: Where do you envision your career 5 to 10 years from now in terms of environment and sustainability?
- The Admissions Committee would like for you to appear in person speaking to the camera.
- We strongly encourage you to speak outside of the experiences we can read in your application.
- You may use your phone, computer, or other means to record the video, but please ensure all audio and visual components are clear. We recommend a well-lit room and minimal noise distraction. Your video should be no longer than two minutes in length.
- For your privacy: Do not include your name in the title of your video. You may submit “unlisted” videos via YouTube or password protected videos via Vimeo. If using a password, please include immediately after your link in the text box below. [Ex: www.vimeo.com/123, password: your password]
- Please note that all videos must remain active and accessible to the Admissions Committee until the first Friday of September.
- The video is for the purposes of admissions only and will not be used for any other purposes after your decision is provided.
Optional Essay: Diversity, Personal Background, and Contributions
As Georgetown is a diverse, global community, we encourage you to upload a brief statement of approximately 500 words to help the Admissions Committee understand the contribution your personal background would make to our community. As appropriate, you may wish to address any obstacles or challenges you have overcome; any educational, familial, cultural, economic, and social experiences that have helped to shape your educational and professional goals; or how your background (e.g., first-generation student, resident outside the United States), identity (e.g. race/ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation), or activities (e.g., community service and leadership) will contribute to the Georgetown community.
We require and strongly prefer only two (2) recommendations, though a third recommender may be added to your application. You should choose recommenders who have an academic or professional relationship to you; faculty, academic advisors, and current supervisors are preferred. Former supervisors or high-level clients (if you are an entrepreneur) also are accepted.
Recommendations from family members or colleagues/peers are strongly discouraged.
We are interested in gaining insight from individuals who can objectively evaluate your academic or professional performance, as well as your managerial and leadership potential.
Applicants to Georgetown University are required to hold a four-year bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university or an equivalent degree from a foreign country. Students who attended or graduated from a non-U.S. college or university should review the instructions on the International Applicants page.
To apply: we require that you upload unofficial copies of your transcripts from all institutions that have conferred a degree to you.
If admitted/enrolled: all applicants who are admitted and enroll will be required to submit official transcripts from all institutions that have conferred a degree to you. Georgetown McDonough reserves the right to withdraw any offer of admission if there is a discrepancy between the uploaded unofficial transcript and/or translation and the official original language transcript and/or the official translation.
Instructions for transcripts:
- All submitted transcripts must display the following:
- student’s name
- university name
- course names
- type of degree and degree conferral information (if applicable)
- grading scale
- cumulative GPA
- all grades received (including from transfer credits and study abroad programs)
- We require proof a degree was conferred and the date of graduation.
- If your transcript does not explicitly state that a degree was conferred or the date of graduation, you should obtain an official letter from your university indicating the date of your graduation and the degree conferral date. This letter should be enclosed in a signed, sealed envelope and included with your transcript.
- A transcript is official when delivered via ONE of the following options:
- submitted from your institution via a secure electronic delivery, such as Scrip-Safe, to: email@example.com
- requested from the appropriate institution’s registrar, returned to you, and submitted unopened.
- submitted in an envelope issued by your institution(s) and sealed by your university’s registrar’s office (or equivalent) to our admissions office. Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org for mailing instructions prior to reaching out to your previous institution.
Discrepancies between self-reported/unofficial documents and official records may result in an admissions offer being rescinded.
Test Scores (optional)
Submission of a GRE, GMAT, or Executive Assessment test score is optional. If you wish to submit test scores to improve your candidacy, upload an unofficial copy of your test score (no more than five years old) directly into the online application. Official scores only need to be submitted once you are admitted to the program. Discrepancies between self-reported/unofficial documents and official records may result in an admissions offer being rescinded.
Demonstration of English Language Proficiency
All applicants are required to demonstrate a level of proficiency in the English language sufficient to meet the admission requirement. Proficiency can be demonstrated by:
- The receipt of a bachelor’s or advanced degree from a university or accredited institution of higher education where English was the primary language of instruction
- A minimum score of either 100 on the TOEFL or 7.5 on the IELTS test, taken within the last 24 months.
- We currently are accepting the TOEFL iBT Home Edition. For more information and registration details visit the TOEFL site.
The Office of Admissions reserves the right to ask an applicant to submit proof of English language proficiency.
All applicants must submit a $90 non-refundable application fee, payable online via credit card or e-check. We are unable to accept personal checks or money orders.
You may receive an application fee waiver* if you belong to any of the following groups. Waivers will be applied automatically when you submit your application.
- Georgetown University graduates
- Active duty, reservists, or veterans of the United States military
Attendees of an event listed below will be eligible for an application fee reduction code*. Apply this code when you complete your application and the reduction will be applied to your account, making the total application fee $50.
- MS-ESM Information Session
- MS-ESM Class Visit
*If you have already applied we regrettably cannot refund the amount of the application fee waiver or reduction.